18 YEAR OLD GIRL HAS STOMACH REMOVED AFTER DRINKING A COCKTAIL CONTAINING LIQUID NITROGEN.

By -
No Comments

Lancashire Police say Gaby Scanlon was out with friends, celebrating her 18th birthday, in Lancaster last Thursday (4th October) when it happened.

The 18-year-old became short of breath and started to develop intense stomach pain. She was then taken to Royal Lancaster Infirmary at 11pm, from the bar she was in: Oscar’s wine bar.

Gaby would have died if the doctors had not performed the operation when they did.

She had a perforated, or pierced stomach, but is now in a stable condition, thankfully.

Lancashire Police haven’t officially named where she bought the cocktail, but have said that Oscar’s has stopped selling it.

The bar say their “heartfelt best wishes” go to Gaby and her family “at this distressing time”.

A police statement said: “The premises involved have fully co-operated with all agencies and have suspended drinks involving liquid nitrogen.

“The investigation is still in its early stages and we are still interviewing witnesses to establish the full facts.

Doctor John Ashton, director of public health for Cumbria, said: “This girl is the victim of an irresponsible alcohol industry that’s now competing on gimmicks.

“Alcohol itself is a very dangerous thing if improperly handled and liquid nitrogen is a toxic chemical. It destroys human tissue.”

Liz Nicholls, principal at Ripley St Thomas Church of England Academy, says the teenager is one of their “most hardworking and mature students”.

In a statement she added: “Our whole school community is shocked and upset at what has happened.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with Gaby, her family and her friends who are obviously upset and distressed.

“We are pleased to hear that she is making better than expected progress.”

If swallowed, liquid nitrogen can cause cold burns to the mouth, throat and stomach, killing the tissue.

As the frozen vapour hits the stomach it rapidly warms, releasing large volumes of air which can burst the stomach.

So remember when drinking be careful what you drink.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/19866191

GOT SOMETHING TO SAY?

All Articles