If your a smoker or a non smoking there are loads of ways you could get involved with no smoking day, in the article you will find a few way in which you could get involved.
Each year No Smoking Day helps hundreds of thousands of people quit smoking.
With No Smoking Day fast approaching, the Cwm Taf Public Health Team have put together information about the campaign and local services that we hope you will find useful for your work with communities in promoting the No Smoking Day campaign in your area.
– The No Smoking Day (NSD) Theme for 2013
– This year, on the 30th anniversary, the theme for national No Smoking Day is ‘Swap Fags for Swag’.
– Smokers are being encouraged to think about what they could be saving if they were to quit for a day (saving £7), a week (£49), a month (£210) and a year (£2,555), based on 20 cigarettes per day.
– NSD is a wonderful opportunity for people to join many others who wish to quit on the same day. It is therefore important to promote the campaign to support those wanting to quit in making steps towards a healthier and wealthier, smoke free life.
– No Smoking Day resource packs can be obtained free of charge from the NSD website which includes posters, leaflets and an organisers handbook. A variety of resources are also available from the website including DIY posters, printable leaflets and factsheets. This is available from http://www.nosmokingday.org.uk.
Cwm Taf Local Support in your Area
Stop Smoking Wales
– Stop Smoking Wales (SSW) is a free NHS service that supports people who want to stop smoking. The service provides advice and behavioural support through holding weekly group sessions. Evidence suggests that we are 4 times more likely to quit smoking when we receive support from a programme such as SSW. Visit http://www.stopsmokingwales.com or call 0800 085 2219.
– SSW will be holding an information stand at Keir Hardie Health Park on No Smoking Day between 10 am and 2 pm and Merthyr Tydfil ASDA on Thursday 14th March 2013 10am-2pm.
Community Pharmacy Stop Smoking Service
– The Community Pharmacy Service is free and available to those aged 15 and above. Pharmacists will provide a 12 week course of free Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT) and 7 one-to-one support sessions. Contact your local participating pharmacy for information.
The Filter – ASH Wales
– The Filter, part of ASH Wales, is a new and unique project for 11-25 year olds in Wales. The Filter uses social media to listen to the views of young people about smoking, provide information about tobacco and support those who want to quit. They aim to filter out the myths and replace them with facts about tobacco. Visit http://thefilterwales.org.
Fresh Start Wales
– Fresh Start Wales promotes smoke free cars due to harmful effects of second hand smoke. A free pack can be obtained from their website http://freshstartwales.co.uk The pack includes hints, tips and tools to support the smoker and their family in making a fresh start.
Big Cig Costume
To loan the Big Cig costume, contact the Cwm Taf Public Health Team by calling 01685 351440 or emailing Natalie.Hazard@wales.nhs.uk.
We are keen to promote No Smoking Day as widely as possible. We have therefore adapted the NSD strap line for email signatures. If appropriate, please help us promote the NSD campaign by copying and