Do you look after your phone? Charge it when it needs to be charged? Install updates, and delete stuff if the storage is getting full? You probably do.
When your phone needs charging you give it more energy. The same applies to your brain and body, sometimes you need to recharge. Tired? Slow? Can’t concentrate? You need recharging. Here’s five tips on how to do it:
1. When you feel like you’re low on battery, try listening to music
If your body’s battery is stuck at 1%, stick on your favourite album, song, podcast, audiobook….whatever helps take your brain for a walk.
2. Too many apps running? Close them with meditation
You could try these calming sites, and these breathing exercises from NHS Choices. Meditation apps, such as Headspace, can also be very helpful. (You could try out exercises for free on their 10-day course).
Maddy has a great way to calm herself down, using the Roller Coaster Method. Check it out:
3. Worried you’re running out of energy? Tell someone
Always let someone know that things are getting too much, so that you don’t have to pretend you’re okay when you’re not. Try chatting to your family, teacher, or a helpline – whoever you trust.
Remember that Meic is here for you every day, 8am – Midnight. It’s free to talk to us on the phone (080880 23456), by text (84001) or instant message (www.meic.cymru).
Image by Shutterstock
4. Not enough storage? Think healthy
Our brains can feel blocked when we have too much to do, so that it feels like we can’t do anything at all. Try these things to help:
- Remind yourself what you can do – try some positive self-talk! Think about what you like about yourself.
- Set realistic goals. Work out what you want to do, and take it step-by-step.
- Having a bad day? Then take it easy, get an early night and start afresh in the morning; tomorrow is a new day.
5. Need to update the software? Live healthily
If you feel a bit slower than usual, healthy habits can help you feel a bit better on the inside. The secret is to find things you enjoy!
- Getting enough water is important! Just a couple of extra glasses a day should help your head feel clearer.
- Fruit and vegetables can make you feel more energised. Find something you like, and try to eat a bit more of it. A good target is to eat something of every colour!
- Spend a little more time outside by going for a walk or cycle, or get off the bus a stop early (if your parents are okay with this). Why not invite your friends?
And a final tip…
Remember to switch off every now and again! Try to get at least eight hours of sleep every night. No phone, no telly…just relax!
For more organisations, services or info about online safety, check out our database or contact Meic, the advocacy, advice and information helpline for children and young people in Wales – Freephone: 080880 23456 / Text: 84001, Instant Message.