Cardiff City Defeat Barnsley 2 – 1

By -
No Comments

On Saturday 24th November 2012 at 3.00pm, Cardiff City took on Barnsley in the Npower Championship at the Oakwell Stadium, Barnsley.

Cardiff have recently won their last two Championship games by beating Middlesbrough 1-0 at the Cardiff City Stadium and also defeating Hull 2 -1 at the Cardiff City Stadium.

However, Barnsley recently drew and lost in their previous Championship games with a 1-1 draw against Bolton and a 1- 0 loss against Huddersfield Town.

The referee for this week’s game was Dean Whitestone from Northampton.

The Barnsley side to face Cardiff were:

GK – Luke Steele
DEF – Scott Golbourne
DEF – Scott Wiseman
DEF – Jimmy Mcnulty
DEF – Martin Cranie
MID – Stephen Dawson
MID – Matty Done
MID – Jacob Mellis
MID – Jonathan Greening
ST – Craig Davies
ST – Marcus Tudgay

The Cardiff side to face Barnsley were:

GK – David Marshall
DEF – Mark Hudson
DEF – Matthew Connolly
DEF – Ben Nugent
MID – Peter Whittingham
MID – Kim Bo-Kyung
MID – Craig Noone
MID – Aron Gunnarson
MID – Ivan Lappin
ST – Joe Mason
ST – Heidar Helguson

At 3.00pm referee Dave Whitestone blew the whistle to start what was going to be an exciting game for both sides as Cardiff are fighting to get top of the table.
Cardiff had most of the possession for the first 10 minutes until Barnsley’s Matty Done was given a free kick after a tug from Cardiff’s Ivan Lappin.

Then at the 20 minute mark Barnsley’s Jonathan Greening hit a brilliant shot from inside the six yard box which David Marshall could not save and Barnsley had a 1 – 0 lead.

Half time was approaching and Cardiff’s Lappin was booked for a dangerous tackle on Barnsley’s Jacob Mellis.

On the 42nd minute Cardiff’s Joe Mason hit a fabulous shot which rattled the woodwork and rebounded off the inside post.

The fourth official indicated 4 minutes extra time in the first half and in that time Barnsley’s Jonathan Greening gave away a free kick after a handball,
and up stepped Peter Whittingham to take the free kick that bounced off Barnsley’s wall of defence.

Dave Whitestone blew his whistle for half time at the Oakwell Stadium.

Second half arrived and Cardiff were all ready to go for another 45 minutes of hard work and dedication.

At the 50th minute Cardiff had a corner, which was taken by Craig Noone. 

Noone crossed in the ball to find the head of Aron Gunnarsson who headed it in to the back of the Barnsley net which made it 1 -1.

Barnsley made two changes, with Akos Buzsaky coming on for Stephen Dawson and Reuben Noble-Lazarus coming on for Matty Done.

56 minutes gone and Cardiff had the ball and Joe Mason crossed the ball perfectly which unfortunately could not find the head of Craig Noone.

It was time for Malky Mackay to make an alteration with Rudy Gestede coming on for Heidar Helguson and Craig Bellamy to come on for Joe Mason.

The 75th minute had came and Cardiff’s Jacob Mellis fired the ball into the net to make it 2 -1 City!

It was the 86th minute and Cardiff’s Ivan Lappin, who had already been booked made a dangerous tackle on Akos Buzsaky, was shown the red card for dangerous play.

With full time approaching Barnsley fans were starting to leave the stadium, while the Cardiff fans were up on their feet singing and dancing as Cardiff are now top of the Npower Championship.

The final whistle had come and what a game this had been with one red card and over three yellow cards in total.

Let us hope Cardiff can keep on winning games other than losing!

Come on City!

Related Article: Cardiff City Defeat Watford 2-1 In The NPower Championship

Info  Sport & Leisure   Outdoor Sports  Football

Info World, Europe, UK & Wales Culture


All Articles