Reporting Crime and Victim Support

No Comments

If you are a victime or witness any crimes, it is important to report them so the police and courts can bring justice to the offender.

In an emergency

You should always call 999 when it is an emergency. This includes when a crime is in progress, someone suspected of a crime is nearby, when there is danger to life, or when violence is being used or threatened.

If you are deaf, hard of hearing, or speech impaired then you can text 999 but you have to register your phone to access this service.

If it’s not an emergency, then you should call 101. If you are deaf, hard of hearing or speech impaired then you can text: 18001 101.

You should call 101 to report crime and other concerns that do not require an emergency response. For example, if:

  • Your car has been stolen
  • Your property has been damaged
  • You suspect drug use or dealing in your neighbourhood

Or to:

  • Give the police information about crime in your area
  • Speak to the police about a general enquiry

You can visit for more information.

Reporting crime and victim support

Being a victim of any type of crime can be very distressing. There are any number of different types of crime that you could have been a victim of; a few examples include: domestic violence, discrimination, and theft.

Whatever the crime that has taken place against you, the effects can be long lasting and emotional; feelings can include shock, anger, fear, guilt and loss of confidence.

You can watch this video by South Wales Police about hate crime, which is one example of a crime you can be victimised by.

It is important that you seek support if you have been a victim of crime, or if you have witnessed a crime. The 101 non-emergency police number will be able to advise you on where to access support as a victim but the following organisations can also support you:

Crime Stoppers0800 555 111 – We’re an independent charity that gives people the power to speak up and stop crime 100% anonymously.

Victim Support08 08 16 89 111 – we work towards a world where people affected by crime or traumatic events get the support they need and the respect they deserve. Our support is free, confidential and tailored to your needs.

Victims’ Information Service – Helping victims and witnesses of crime in England and Wales with information on what happens after reporting a crime, the people you might meet, the support you should get and how to complain if something goes wrong.

If you are concerned, you can also talk to a Childline Councellor who can support you through this stressful time.