RBS Six Nations Week 2 Update

By -
No Comments

This weekend we saw the second weekend of the 2013 Six Nations take place over Europe with, again, some of the big teams facing injuries to their squads.

The first game to kick off the second week of the 2013 Six Nations was up north in Murrayfield, where Scotland took on Italy. With Scotland losing their first game against England, and Italy winning their first game against France, this game was looking to be an interesting game for both teams.

At the start of the game Scotland was dominating the field with some excellent attacking which Italy’s defence couldn’t hold off. Scotland almost grabbed the lead inside the first five minutes only for the bounce of the ball to deny winger Tim Visser from Greig Laidlaw’s chip through the Italian defence. The first points of the game went to Scotland with some fantastic penalties by Scotland’s Greig Laidlaw. Shortly after, Scotland’s Matt Scott added more points on to the scoreboard with a fantastic try.. Moments later Italy’s Luciano Orquera got some points on the board for the Italians with a shot at goal. At half time the score was 13 – 3 to Scotland.

Second half, Italy came out confident ready to gain back some points. Two minutes in to the second half and, again, Scotland’s Matt Scott added more points with a fantastic try which was then converted by Greig Laidlaw. Four minutes later there was a 14-point swing to Scotland, which effectively settled the game. The final whistle went and the score at the end of the game was 34 – 10 to Scotland after some fantastic attacking and defending by the Scots.

The second game of the weekend was last year’s winners Wales against 2011 World Cup Runners-Up, France. This week’s game was held at the Stade de France and both teams lost their opening games and were looking for a win. The game got underway at 5pm GMT, and both teams went out confident and ready to play rugby. The first points of the game went to France after Wales conceded a penalty for not releasing at the breakdown. Moments later Wales equalised to make it 3-3 with a fantastic penalty from Welsh full-back Leigh Halfpenny. At half time the scores were level after what was a quiet first half with all points being penalties and no tries. Early in to the second half Wales took the lead with, again, another brilliant penalty by Wales’ Leigh Halfpenny. Wales were now leading 6 – 3. 15 minutes later France were given a penalty after Wales made a dangerous tackle on the French full-back which levelled the scores to 6 – 6. In the 71st minute Wales were on the attack in France’s 22 when a wonderful chip ball from Wales centre Jamie Roberts led to a brilliant and well earned try by winger George North, which was then converted by Leigh Halfpenny, which gave Wales the lead by 13 – 6. Moments before the final whistle Wales were awarded a penalty after an offside by the French. Wales’ Leigh Halfpenny decided to kick the penalty just 4 metres in to the French half, and what a penalty it was with the score now being 16 – 6. Full time had come and Wales had beaten the French 16 – 6 at the Stade de France. This was the first time in 27 years that France lost 2 games in a row in the Six Nations.

The final game of the second week of the Six Nations was in Dublin where Ireland took on their rivals England. Both teams won their first game of the 2013 Six Nations with good results. The game kicked off at 3.00pm with both teams coming out looking for a second win. England came out dominating the first couple of minutes where they awarded a penalty which their fly-half, Owen Farrell, kicked and gave England a 3 point lead. England stayed in Ireland’s half for the majority of the first 20 minutes  – then they were awarded another penalty where again Owen Farrell gave England a 6 point lead. At half time Ireland was trailing by 6 points so it was time for the Irish management to talk to the team in the changing rooms. Moments into the second half Ireland put some points on to the board with a fantastic penalty from Ronan O’Gara which made it 6 – 3 to England. In the 57th minute England’s Haskell was sent to the sin bin. Ireland were then awarded a penalty which then made it 6 – 6. In the final 10 minutes England were awarded two penalties which made the score 12 points to 6. Full time was approaching and Ireland were on the attack trying to get some final points on the board, but it was too late and the whistle blew with the final score being England 12 – 6 Ireland.

Keep an eye on Wicid or CLIC for more Six Nations news!

Come on Wales!

Related Article: RBS 6 Nations Squad Named

Info » Sport & Leisure » Outdoor Sports » Rugby

Info » Sport & Leisure » Interests


All Articles